Written By Guest Writer Edibles / Food Events / How to Cook Oct 23, 2011 Harvest Apple Bounty Day at Moss Street Market SHARE VIA: Facebook Twitter Pinterest“Move over, cupcake. It was good to know you, macaron. Say hello to pie.Apple Day at Moss Street Market Photo by G. HynesPie is having its moment. And it’s just the thing for a beleaguered middle class. Let the 1% daintily nibble gold-foiled, cognac-filled, chocolate truffles. The other 99% go for the wholesome taste of the more humble, affordable, and down-to-earth pie. And which pie reigns supreme? Apple, of course.Photo courtesy of Harry BurtonThe 2nd Annual Pie Tasting, held Saturday, October 15th at Moss St Market, saw dozens of chefs brave a picture-perfect, west coast, fall day to present their version of the apple pie. Every type of pie—from the honest classic to the more fanciful and creative— filled three long tables at the east end of the market. Among the more than two-dozen bakers were some from Vista 18, Jenny’s Olde Country Fair, Delta Grand Pacific, Kitchens of Distinction, Spinnakers, Sweet Flour, and students from Camosun College’s Culinary Arts Program (under the direction of chef Gilbert Noussitou).For $5, market-goers bought a ticket that allowed them to choose sample slices from three different pies. Orchardist Harry Burton of Apple Luscious Organic Orchards provided the apples—all of which were heritage varieties—for the chefs to bake with. This made the tasting all the more intriguing, as you could compare pies that were made from different apple varieties. Burton was on hand to explain the different types and their characteristics. As well, he had a table with a selection of heritage apples for sale (the popular English pie variety, Bramley’s Seedling, was disappearing fast). One crowd favourite was the Salted Caramel Apple Pie baked by Pie Common, which used Island -grown wheat flour, Vancouver Island salt, and spigold apples. Some good.Photo courtesy of Harry BurtonThat pie stayed in my taste memory all week, so when market day rolled around again I was back at the Apple Luscious apple stand buying Cox’s Orange Pippins (very aromatic) and Belle de Boskoop (good acid) for my own version of the salt caramel apple pie. Here’s a link to the recipe I used as a starting point. RecipePhoto courtesy of Harry BurtonNow that apple season is nearing its end I will be looking forward to next year’s harvest and another pie-off at Moss Street Market.The event was a fundraiser to benefit the Mustard Seed Food Bank, Moss St. Market, and the Island Chefs’ Collaborative.Mustard Seed, http://mustardseed.ca/Moss Street Market, http://www.mossstreetmarket.com/Heritage apples for sale from Apple Luscious Organic Orchard at Moss St Market in Victoria, BC apple pieChefsmarket SHARE VIA: Facebook Twitter Pinterest Written By: Guest Writer We get many people writing guest articles for us, as well as past contributors. This is the Guest ... Read More You may also like Dessert / Recipes / Sponsored February 26, 2018 DIY Blueberry & Lemon Curd Shortcakes in a Jar Are you in need of some inspiration? Foods in a jar just seem to taste better, after all we do eat with our eyes first. A Do-It-Yourself Blueberry ... Read More Get Fresh January 18, 2018 Delicious Citrus “Citrus’s naughty by nature proclivities ensure an ever-expanding family tree.” It’s funny isn’t it, that flavours as zippy and ... Read More Sponsored / The Big Picture January 10, 2018 New Year, New Trends! Our 2018 Predictions From working closely with hundreds of chefs and restaurants across North America over the past 6 years, there’s no doubt that we pick up a thing or ... Read More Preserves / Sponsored October 13, 2017 Bonne Maman Partners with Toronto Shops for a Special Tasty Offering Ready to spread some joy throughout the GTA, jam producer Bonne Maman has partnered up with top artisan shops across Toronto for the 1st annual JAM ... Read More Dessert / Recipes / Sponsored July 18, 2017 Summer’s Ice Cream wishes you a Happy National Ice Cream Month! This month, dessert lovers across Canada will be raising their bowls and waffle cones in delicious recognition of NATIONAL ICE CREAM MONTH, with ... Read More 2017 Issues / The Big Picture July 3, 2017 Summer Issue of EAT Magazine Available in Print & Digital Versions The July/August 2017 issue of EAT is out and on the streets. Pick-up your copy today at your favourite grocer, deli, wine shop, café or book store. ... Read More Comments are closed.